Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Beatitudes

The last 3 weeks we have looked at the beatitudes of Jesus from a totally different perspective during our Wednesday night study. Jeff Walling (DVD) has led us in giving us a unique perspective on these various attitudes that Jesus calls us to have. Attitudes about how we deal with one another in relationships. Let me break it down for you the best that I can:
  1. Blessed are the poor in spirit: "I need you." - The poor in spirit need others. We have to realize that as believers we need one another.
  2. Blessed are those who mourn: "I'm Sorry." - Being a follower of Christ is not always easy, we have to realize when it is that we fall short and admit it.
  3. Blessed are the meek: "I respect you." - Meekness is power under control. It is being respectful even when you are obviously supposed to be respected.
  4. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for Righteousness: "I will do what is right, regardless." - We are called be examples as followers of Jesus, as parents, as grandparents, etc. We must do the right thing no matter what the circumstance is.
  5. Blessed are the merciful: "I have forgiven you already." - Mercy is a very hard thing to give, but we are called to do it. Mercy means forgiving others even when they are so obviously wrong. Are you a forgiving person?
  6. Blessed are those who are pure in heart: "I will be honest with you always." - It is very important that people do not have to guess what you are thinking. Honesty is a lost art in our society. Be honest with others.
  7. Blessed are the peacemakers: "Let me be the first to stop the fighting." - Wow what a difficult thing. Are you willing to be the first to stop the fight. Many times we get caught up in the fighting because our pride gets in the way of peace. Be the first to stop the fight.
  8. Blessed are those who persecute you: "I will cut you slack, because Jesus did for me." Hmmmm I think this one speaks for itself.
God is very very concerned about how we treat one another. John 13:34 speaks of this very truth. How we care for one another matters.

Let's all try to apply these truths about relationship not only within the church, but within our families, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

As my family was looking at the amazing lunar eclipse this evening, my wife reminded me of an awesome truth this phenomenon: We should all be like the moon, reflecting the sun (son) as we live for Jesus. How is your reflection.

aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment