Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Weekly Challenge
The Cost of the Message


How far would you go for the message of Jesus? That is a difficult question to ask yet one worth considering, and considering a lot. When it boils down to it, most of us are deeply spoiled and we have a difficult time stepping out of our comfort zone for anything. Consider this: Most of us sit in the same place every Sunday morning; if we don't like the music we have difficulty worshipping; we get stuck in consistent routine, we like our days to run smoothly and we hope each day runs like yesterday did. We struggle to leave our comfort zone, seldom do speak to strangers or stop to help someone in need.

I hope you do not think that I am getting on anybody in particular. Truthfully, I am stung by my very own words, realizing how selfish I am. It is painful to think that I cannot please everyone and yet God reminds me that it is His approval I am looking for, so, step out of my comfort zone is something I must do. Something I hope God is encouraging you to do, to take a big step out of your comfort zone.

I think we all understand the danger of stepping out of our comfort places. Now, consider the rewards; you could be giving hope to a family in crisis, you may be the tool God uses to end the cycle of sin in someone's life. You may be the one to seed plant in someone's soul that will sprout down the road or you could be the one bring that seed to sprout. You may be the only kind word someone hears today, the only encouragement some receives. Your one act of kindness could mean the world to someone.

Foy Vance, a singer/song writer from London has a song on his most recent album called, "An Indiscriminate Act of Kindness." In the song a story is told of a man who provides a down-and-out woman with a warm place to stay and hope for tomorrow. As she questions his kindness, the man responds, "No one that knows love could leave you out there on such a night." You and I know Love, we know the very creator of Love because of that we have no choice but to step out and show others that kind of Love that we have already received. By the way, did I mention that it's worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment